Monday, May 25, 2009

The Lonesome Crowded West

How do we deal with our critical nature? I often find myself wrangling with this very question when shooting and editing my photos. Granted, I often find myself feeling self-conscious about the photographs that I create, not because I insert myself into the photographs, but because I feel as if I don't (a) live up to my own expectations and (b) because I don't feel as if I am on par, conceptually, with other students. Then, what concepts I do have, I stumble around like bumbling idiot trying to explain how they came to be. I suppose you could liken it to chasing after clouds. To me, it all seems a little absurd. Every time I feel like I've found some sort of higher meaning, I find out that it's just the tip of the iceberg and the real reason is far out of reach. In all honesty, there are entire series that, subconsciously, I know the meaning to, but in my waking life, I haven't the faintest idea. Again, I feel like a bumbling idiot.

So, how do we remedy this? I often find that, in conversation, I am much more effective at deciphering the reasoning behind my photographs. I have pondered the idea of recording myself talk about my work in order to try and find out if I can conjure the proverbial deeper meaning. I think that I may start doing that after each day of shooting in order to help myself understand my own photographs. Ridiculous? Perhaps. Helpful? Hopefully. After all, crazier things have happened.

Currently in heavy rotation:







Moby f/ Sinead O'Connor - Harbour






VAST - Desert Garden





Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive [Acoustic]

1 comment:

Colleen Mullins said...

I like the idea of recording your thoughts. It can't hurt to keep for possible use in a multi-media presentation on the work.

I know when I was at the portfolio review conference in Portland, Oregon, it helped me clarify a few things about my own gab on my work, saying it aloud, unscripted, over and over again.